Even with the lack of known impairment, the actions of the driver resulted in a crash that seriously injured the motorcyclist. For those who ride motorcycles, the reality is that, no matter how careful you are in operating the motorcycle, accidents are possible due to the actions of other drivers.
Part of website of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration concerns motorcycle safety. The Administration explains the importance of other drivers safely “sharing the road” with motorcyclists. It also reminds drivers that “motorcycles are vehicles with the same rights and privileges as any motor vehicle on the roadway.” Despite public service campaigns promoting motorcycle safety and awareness, the Center for Disease Control explains that from 2001 to 2008, motorcyclist deaths increased 55 percent. Over 34,000 motorcyclists were killed during that same period, and roughly 1,222,000 were treated for non-fatal injuries in emergency rooms due to motorcycle-related injuries.
While motorcyclists cannot control the actions of other drivers on the roadway, the Center for Disease Control offers the following tops for motorcycle riders:
- Helmets approved by the Department of Transportation should be worn at all times.
- If you have been consuming alcohol or drugs of any kind, do not operate your motorcycle.
- Never ride with a friend who is impaired, or let them ride while impaired.
- Wear bright colors and reflective clothing, especially when riding in the evening and at night.
- Protective clothing like chaps can help provide even a moderate amount of injury protection in the event of a crash.
- Keep a safe driving distance between your motorcycle and the vehicle in front of you.
- Follow speed limits and maintain safe speeds, particularly when navigating curves, or traveling on wet, icy, or gravel-based surfaces.
If you, or someone you know has been injured while riding a motorcycle, due to the negligence of another driver, you may be entitled to recovery for your injuries. Consulting with an experienced personal injury attorney helps provide the best possible outcome for your case.