Michael represents clients primarily in legal malpractice, medical malpractice, and serious personal injury lawsuits, including car accidents and construction worksite accidents. He is a fierce advocate for his clients.
He believes that every case from the beginning should be handled and treated as though it were going to trial. He feels that only when the law firm and their clients are prepared to go to trial, can the best possible outcome be achieved. Michael prides himself in being able to think critically, to understand each case’s strengths and potential weaknesses and to anticipate opposing parties’ strategic moves.
Michael believes it is essential to explain complex and difficult legal concepts in common, nontechnical language, so that his clients can understand each step in the litigation process.
Michael is a graduate from the University of Washington School of Law. After graduation Michael began working at Johnson Flora PLLC as an associate attorney. There he quickly gained experience often only gained working at a small law firm—the proverbial ‘sink or swim.’ In 2017, Michael became an owner and partner of Johnson Flora Sprangers PLLC.
Michael has tried cases to verdicts and has helped clients resolve their cases prior to trial. Johnson Flora Sprangers focuses on keeping a manageable caseload, typically accepting only high value cases. He has represented clients who have obtained 8-figure results.
Representative case experience includes:
- An emergency department’s negligent treatment of a patient;
- Failure to timely diagnose cancer;
- Urology malpractice;
- Failure to timely diagnose and treat a newborn’s treatable disorder that resulted in severe neurological damage; and
- Surgical error.
- Negligent estate drafting, including wills;
- Breach of fiduciary duties, conflict of interest, failure to obtain informed consent, and improper use of trust account;
- Improper business formation and investment advice by attorney; and
- Negligent handling of a municipality’s development project.
- A worker who was seriously injured on the job at a construction workplace;
- A customer who was seriously injured by the business’s employee;
- A passenger seriously injured in a shuttle van collision;
- An individual (social guest) who was seriously injured on a relative’s property; and
- Passengers and drivers who were seriously injured as a result of car accidents.
His presentations include:
Michael is a multiple time presenter at the annual Washington State Bar Association’s Conference on the Law of Lawyering, a continuing legal education seminar attended by practicing lawyers. He has presented to lawyers on the topics of professional liability insurance, legal malpractice, and professional grievances.
His publications include:
- King County Bar Association, Bar Bulletin Publication, Washington Health Care provider Civil Liability Law, September 2019. https://www.kcba.org/For-Lawyers/Bar-Bulletin/PostId/896/washington-health-care-provider-civil-liability-law-first-of-four-parts
- King County Bar Association, Bar Bulletin Publication, Artificial Intelligence and the Law – Revolution or Evolution? February 2018. https://www.kcba.org/For-Lawyers/Bar-Bulletin/PostId/342/artificial-intelligence-and-the-law-revolution-or-evolution
- King County Bar Association, Bar Bulletin Publication, A (Gene) Baker’s Dozen of Legal Malpractice Claims and Risk Management Suggestions, May 2017. https://www.kcba.org/For-Lawyers/Bar-Bulletin/PostId/74/a-gene-bakers-dozen-of-legal-malpractice-claims-and-risk-management-suggestions-part-2
Michael is a member of the ABA, WSBA, and is an Eagle Member of the WSAJ.
He is a board member of the Campaign for Equal Justice. The Campaign for Equal Justice is the fundraising program of the Legal Foundation of Washington. Money raised is used to fund civil legal aid for individuals who are facing a legal crisis and have limited means. https://legalfoundation.org/the-campaign-for-equal-justice/
When not practicing law, you may run into Michael, his wife, and their daughter at one of the many local city parks.
Areas of Practice
- Serious Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Legal Malpractice
- Uninsured Motorist Insurance
- Car Accidents
- Bike Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Washington, 2012
- University of Washington School of Law, Seattle, Washington
- J.D. – 2012
- Washington State University
- B.A. – 2005
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- Washington State Bar Association, Member
- Washington State Association for Justice, Eagle Member