Mark represents plaintiffs in medical and legal malpractice and serious personal injury cases.
Mark is a past President of the Washington State Bar Association. Mark served as the WSBA's President from September 2008- September 2009. Prior to serving as President Mark was a State Bar Association Governor and the Association's Treasurer.
Mark is an elected Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. "Fellowship in the American College of Trial Lawyers is extended only by invitation, after careful investigation, to experienced trial lawyers who have mastered the art of advocacy and whose professional careers have been marked by the highest standards of ethical conduct, professionalism, civility and collegiality. Although there are currently more than 5,700 Fellows across the U.S. and Canada, membership can never be more than 1% of the total lawyer population of any state or province." See, www.ACTL.com.
Mark is AV rated by Martindale Hubbell - the highest peer review rating.
Mark has been listed in every edition of the Best Lawyers in America since 1995.
Mark A. Johnson has been named the Best Lawyers' 2011 Seattle Legal Malpractice Lawyer of the Year.
Washington State Bar Association Activities
In addition to serving as the WSBA's President and as a governor and its Treasurer Mark Has:
- Chaired or co-chaired the first seven WSBA Conferences on the Law of Lawyering presented annually beginning in 2003 and will co-chair the eighth conference in November 2010.
- Chaired a task force charged with resolving the issue of the trust account treatment of advanced deposits towards received by attorneys from clients. The rules drafted by the taskforce were approved by the Supreme Court.
- Chaired a task force that drafted the first comprehensive set of Character and Fitness rules for the WSBA. The rules were adopted without change by the Washington Supreme Court in 2006.
Mark is a frequent speaker and author on legal ethics, malpractice, risk management and other issues important to the practice of law and the justice system, including:
- Flat Fee RPC Amendments under Consideration by the Supreme Court, WSBA Bar News, Vol.62 No.2, February 2008
- Procedural Perfection Required, WSBA Bar News, Vol.61 No.12, December 2007
- The Law of Lawyering, WSBA Bar News, November, 2004
- Washington Law of Lawyer Liability, WSBA Bar News, April 2000
A member of the Washington State Association for Justice Mark is also the past chair of the Association's Professional Liability Section. He has authored several articles for the organization's publication, including:
- Mishandled Medical Malpractice Case Leads to Legal Malpractice Verdict, co-authored with Donovan Flora, WSTLA Trial News, October 2001
- Washington Law of Lawyer Liability, WSTLA Trial News, January 2000
- Medical Malpractice, Medical Records and the Uniform Business Records as Evidence Act, WSTLA Trial News, June 1999
Washington Supreme Court Declares Medical Negligence Statute of Repose Unconstitutional, WSTLA Trial News, October 1998.
Areas of Practice
- Serious Personal-Injury
- Legal Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- Washington, 1978
- Minnesota, 1979
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1980
- U.S. District Court Western District of Washington, 1978
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Washington, 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- Drake University Law School, Des Moines, Iowa
- J.D. - 1978
- Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa
- B.A. - 1975
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Washington State Bar Association, Member
- Washington State Association for Justice, Member
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Elected Fellow
- American Association for Justice, Member